2012 End of Year Book Survey

2012 End of Year Survey

This survey is created and hosted by the lovely Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner.

1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
A few of my faves this year (I kept this to books I’ve never read before):
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (which turned my top 5 books into 6) by Catherynne M. Valente
Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott
Snow in Summer by Jane Yolen

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer – This book needed another go round of editing before being pushed out into the world. The story and concept were solid, and you should know by now how much I LOVE fairy tale retellings. It just wasn’t ready technically speaking.

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer – I liked this one, but, there was something lacking in it. Again, the story and concept were solid. It just was too little kiddish to me. I think this is really a MG book disguised in YA packaging. If I had known that going in, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Ditched by Robin Mellom – I don’t read contemporary fiction all that often. Since I met Robin Mellom at my local bookstore and found her quite lovely I decided to give Ditched a shot, and I’m so glad I did. Hilarious.

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen – Confession time: I don’t like Robin Hood, as in, the character (apart from the fox(y) Disney cartoon version, who is just plain awesome). I do, however, like the world of Robin Hood and the other characters. I picked up Scarlet on a whim at the library one day. It was definitely a winner. I loved seeing the story through Scarlet’s eyes, and A.C. Gaughen captured the voice of the day perfectly. I definitely recommend this one if you’re a fan of Robin Hood, historical fiction, and/or strong heroine voices.

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente.
The Curse Workers series by Holly Black.
ALL Zoe Marriott books (The Swan Kingdom, Daughter of the Flames, & Shadows on the Moon).

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Curse Workers by Holly Black.
Inside Out & Outside In by Maria V. Snyder.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Claire Legrand – The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls is fantastic! My review will probably be up in the next week or so. Also, she’s writing a retelling of The Nutcracker! *screams internally for two hours*
Catherynne M. Valente – This is the author who cracked my top 5 books of all time, something that hasn’t happened in over 10 years. *applause*
Diana Peterfreund – Her retelling of Persuasion is per-fec-tion. AND her next book is a Scarlet Pimpernel retelling! Eeek! Can’t wait!
Sara Zarr – I’d been hearing all about how amazing Sara’s books are from fellow book bloggers this year. I finally picked up Once Was Lost and realized what all the fuss was about. Zarr’s writing is beautiful. It’s simple and poignant. I will definitely be picking up more books by her.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori – Tee hee. Manga are books too. ;) I never thought I would be reading manga, but since I’m just a little obsessed with Ouran and the anime does not end in any sort of satisfying fashion, I decided I needed to read the manga. So worth it. Now I’m reading more manga and discovering what a beautiful and wonderful world it is.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Gravity by Melissa West.
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente.
Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Best-Book-Covers

11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Percy Jackson. Always. <3
A-through-L, the wyverary from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
Victoria from The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls. LOVE her.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente
Chalice by Robin McKinley
The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. LeGuin

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Quiet by Susan Cain – This book is a wonderful glimpse into the introverted life.
The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. LeGuin – This book is the pre-Avatar Avatar, only 50 times better. Definitely gave me a lot to think about in terms of how we treat each other.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede. LOVED this book. I didn’t even know it existed until this year.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“The people Fried interviewed were saying out loud what creative people have always known. Kafka, for example, couldn’t bear to be near even his adoring fiancee while he worked:

You once said that you would like to sit beside me while I write. Listen, in that case I could not write at all. For writing means revealing oneself to excess; that utmost of self-revelation and surrender, in which a human being, when involved with others, would feel he was losing himself, and from which, therefore, he will always shrink as long as he is in his right mind…. That is why one can never be alone enough when one writes, why there can never be enough silence around one when one writes, why even night is not night enough.”
- Susan Cain Quiet

“‘People are foolish when it comes to love.’
Elliot hadn’t been. She’d been rational, logical, reasonable, prudent. She’d been cold and cruel and disloyal and distant.
She hadn’t been foolish.
She’d been the most foolish girl on the island.”

- Diana Peterfreund For Darkness Shows the Stars

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
The Ink Drinker by Eric Sanvoisin – 48 pages
The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan – 513 pages

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori – Pretty much every single volume had a moment like this. (Tricia, you need to read these SOON!)
White Cat by Holly Black – That ending! It kills me!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Zira & Sorin in Daughter of the Flames.
Mirasol & The Master in Chalice.
Tamaki & Haruhi in Ouran High School Host Club (even though I personally prefer Kyoya. Ahem).

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously:
Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr.

Anyone have any epic plans for New Years Eve this year? I have wonderful party plans to read, hang out with my family, and (hopefully) go to bed early. Hehe. ;) See you next year!

Facebook Twitter Email Stumbleupon Tumblr Digg
This entry was posted in About Books. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

19 Comments

1. Posted 12.31.2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

I have SO many more books to add to my to-read list now! **Sighs** I swear I’m never going to make a dent in that thing! Lol.

• Posted 12.31.2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

P.S. So glad you enjoyed Scarlet! It was probably one of my favorites of 2012. :)

• Posted 01.03.2013 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Natalie – Mwahahahaha! I know, right? I admit I’ve only read a few of these lists on other blogs, and, yeah, it’s amazing how much my to-read list has grown. It’s bad. It seems every time I read a book on my to-read list, 3 more go on. *sigh* Also, did you know there’s going to be a sequel to Scarlet? Well, actually, according to Goodreads it’s a trilogy. o.O I don’t know for sure cuz’ there’s no info on the books yet, but, crossing my fingers!

2. Posted 12.31.2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I kind of hate you for this. Not only is it well-written in your bestest, cutest, adorable Kristen style, it makes me want ALL the books. And a retelling of The Scarlet Pimpernel? I swoon.

• Posted 01.03.2013 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Mary – Bwahaha. No matter how much you hate me, I will still love you. ;) Especially since yours is the voice I envy the most. And The Scarlet Pimpernel? Squeee! Chris and I read that aloud back when we were “just friends,” so it’s got a pretty special place in my heart. It looks like the Scarlet Pimpernel character is actually a girl in the retelling though. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

• Posted 01.08.2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Aw, you’re super sweet. Thanks for the compliment. :0) And that is SO cute about you and Chris reading Sir Percy Blakeney together when you were “just friends.” *smirk* I kind of adore that a lot.

But…um, yeah…changing the character to a GIRL???? I’m offended. How am I supposed to swoon over the very first love of my life is he’s been turned into a female? Ugh. I protest!

• Posted 01.13.2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Mary – I know, right? It’s such a travesty. So I’m thinking the Marguerite character will be the boy? That’s just WEIRD! So technically I’m going to be swooning over Marguerite. Although, to be fair, she is kind of an awesome character.

3. Posted 12.31.2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Alright, so I’m pretty sure I need to read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland ASAP after seeing it all over your list. And it making your all-time favorites list? I will definitely bump it up on my list soon.

Happy New Year!

• Posted 01.03.2013 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Stephanie – Yes, yes, yes! Read Fairyland! I know it’s not for everyone (my husband and a friend didn’t really care for it…), but you should at least try it. It’s so magical. Happy New Year to you as well! Also, I have to say that I LOVE your blog, the design and layout are gorgeous! I will read some posts and comment soon! :D

4. Posted 01.01.2013 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

You are the second person to mention Ditched in their survey (that I read tonight, actually) and I’ve been really wanting to read this one. (Disney is the publisher so I felt extra invested!) Glad to hear it was such a delight. When I get around to signing up for a new library card, I believe I will have to check that one out!

It’s been so awesome to connect with you this year! I hope 2013 is full of amazing things for you, and I can’t wait to chat some more! xo

• Posted 01.03.2013 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Estelle – I’d be interested in knowing what you think of Ditched if you read it. It’s not my typical cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’ve loved getting to know you a bit this year as well! I’m excited for another year of connecting and sharing this love of books and Disney. :)

5. Lan
    Posted 01.03.2013 at 1:28 am | Permalink

This survey is much too long! There are so many amazing books that you’ve mentioned. I’m so glad you enjoyed Once Was Lost. And I can’t believe you don’t like Robin Hood! Now I have to know why! Ouran High School Host Club is such a hoot. I’ve only watched the anime but I love it. I started reading the first book in the Curse Workers series but stopped for some reason. I must pick it up again.

• Posted 01.03.2013 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Lan – Haha! It’s funny you say that because I thought this survey was much too long as I was filling it out! Oomph, now I have to verbalize why I don’t like Robin Hood. Um, perhaps it’s because I watched the Disney movie LONG before I ever read the book, but, when I finally did read the book I found the character, lacking. I’d really need to re-read the book again to really figure it out, but, I just find him rather arrogant. Like he’s almost too noble, and he’s aware of it. I think I also tend to view the book version as the “real” version of a character, and Robin Hood of the book is just not as well rounded as later movie and TV adaptations, although even those I’ve never really liked a whole ton. Hmm… Now I want to re-read the book and really figure this out. Haha.

Aw, yay! I love finding out that other people love Ouran! So funny, right? That’s my favorite anime. Curse Workers was SO good. The first book was the best, but all 3 were worth reading. Holly Black is a phenomenal writer.

6. Posted 01.09.2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I finally bought The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making! I’m so looking forward to reading this — I’ve heard AMAZING things. And Inside Out made your top 5? SQUEE! Maria is an amazing amazing AMAZING author, and so underrated. I’m so excited you love ♥

And… seriously. An amazing year of reading for you, Kristen! ♥

• Posted 01.13.2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Sarah – YAY! I can’t wait to hear what you think about Fairyland! I love, love, LOVE Maria V. Snyder, and I hadn’t read a good sci-fi in AGES, so it was just perfect. I’m hoping to start in on her Healer series this year, and maybe re-read Poison Study. :)

7. Posted 01.10.2013 at 6:05 am | Permalink

SUCH good books on your list! I’m especially glad to see Chalice on there, since I think it’s one of McKinley’s most underrated. I REALLY need to read The Girl Who Circumnavigated and some Zoe Marriott–you’ve definitely convinced me by now that I need to read those!

• Posted 01.13.2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Karen – I love Chalice so much. I agree. It is one of McKinley’s most underrated. I pretty much love everything about it though. Yay for spreading the Fairyland and Zoe Marriott love! <3

8. Posted 01.10.2013 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

I need to read Sara Zarr. I keep hearing her name over and over again and yet, I’ve never read anything by her… Also, you have the best blog posts!!!

• Posted 01.13.2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Jolene – I know, right? I’ve heard SO many great things about Sara Zarr and I’m definitely a fan now. I want to read her other books soon! Also, thank you. *blushes* <3